Friday, February 13, 2009

Recipe Friday: Black Bottom Cupcakes

This recipe was passed down by my mother years ago to add to my recipe box. I've never taken these to a party or event where they weren't a huge hit. But beware, they're addicting! I must have made these well over a dozen times, and do you think I snapped a picture of the final product - No! Therefore, I had to google the image you see below to include in the post. I don't know if you're like me, but I am always more willing to try a recipe if it looks tempting in a picture. I'd like to add a couple tips for this recipe from experience. Bake these the day before you want to eat them or take them to an event. Although they're tasty the first day, for some reason they are so much better the next day. I store them in a sealed container on the counter, but I know a couple of people who have refrigerated them overnight. If you choosse to store them in the fridge overnight, allow plenty of time to return to room temperature, because again, for some reason they taste better like that than chilled. One last tip... don't overbake them. Just like cheesecakes, if you bake them too long they turn a very unattractive yellowish color and the cake obviously tastes less moist. I just stick a toothpick in the cake part and as soon as I can pull it out without any batter sticking to it, they're finished! Enjoy!



Ingredients:

Cake Batter
3 C Flour
2 C Sugar
1/2 C Dry Cocoa
2 tsp. Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 C Water
2/3 C Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp. White Vinegar

** Mix the ingredients of the cake batter together. Then mix the filling
ingredients together in a separate bowl

Filling
1 8oz cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 C Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 10oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

  2. Beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt until creamy.

  3. Stir in the chocolate chips.

  4. Fill the cupcake papers half-full with batter and place 1 Tbsp. filling in the center of each.

  5. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. **Do not overbake
*** Recipe yields about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cupcakes.

4 Comments:

Stacy February 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

Oh yum! Those look so decadent. I will have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing! I agree on the pictures, too. I've been trying to get better and post pictures of stuff I make. Thus, no post this week, since I have no pictures LOL!

Cara February 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

These are Francesco and Michael's Favorite. I am lucky to get the recipes before everyone else (LOL).

jamestownboys March 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

MMMMMMMMMMM .
These are my FAV cupcakes!!! The recipe we use is the same except we add 1 cup of coconut to the in with the chocolate chips.
I might have to make these soon . . . thanks :)

jamestownboys March 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

Oh and thanks for the tips - do you know if they freeze well???

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP